Monday, September 13, 2010

Chapter 1-3: What I found that I didn't know.

In chapters one through three, I was informed by a lot of new writing skills I have never encountered before. I never knew about all of the writing concepts. I think they will help me out a lot in my future writing assignments. Concept three is very educational. It made me realize that I am always writing for a purpose and an audience. For example, the questions,"What do I want my readers to know? Do they care? What are their assumptions? What kind of document am I writing?" These all have to do with rhetorical aim as a purpose and really helps me understand better writing. Also, something I knew little about was, logos, ethos, and pathos. Logos appeal to reason, pathos appeal to the sympathies, values, believes, and emotions, while ethos appeal to the character of the speaker/reader. These three things are important in arguments when the writer wants to take a persuasive aim. I am really I learned about these three things because they will totally help me to draw in my readers and and put them under my writing spell. Another more thing I was unaware of, was that thesis statements should not only be believable, but they should also surprise the reader. I learned so much in these first few chapters, but reading strategies helped me out doing the rest of my homework last night. I took notes on all of my reading assignments, I looked up words I didn't understand, I slowed down my reading speed when I knew I really needed to remember something, and I sped up when I was reviewing and skimming. I also learned that if I want a strong response, I need to ask questions. For example, "How well does the text suit its particular audience? What is the writer's purpose?" and, "Who is the intended audience?" Chapters one through three were super informative and helped me out a lot.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you used the reading and note-taking strategies!

    ReplyDelete