Monday, November 8, 2010

The Social Network

I went and saw The Social Network over the weekend. Jesse Eisenbrg, one of my favorite actors plays the main charachter, Mark. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, probably because it is all about inventing Facebook. The movie is about a Harvard student named Mark. He gets drunk one night and designs a website to rate girls at Harvard.This website was called FaceMash. He ends up getting put on probation because I guess it is just not legal to break into files and look up girl's pictures without their permission. On probation, he works for twins in designing a new website, while on the side he was inventing Facebook, an online website designed for Harvard students to share information securely. The twins that he works for think that Mark is using their ideas so they want to sue him for theft. He runs into his old girlfriend who doesn't go to Harvard and Mark decides to make Facebook accessible for other schools as well because I think he missed her. As Facebook gets bigger and more popular an even international, his twin colleuges get even more upset along with his friend Tyler who also helped in the idea formation of Facebook, so they decide to sue Mark. Mark settles both lawsuits and pays both of them off. The movie ends with Mark adding his old girlfriend on Facebook and waiting for her to confirm him as her new Facebook friend. Over all, I loved this movie because I love Facbook. I never knew that Facebook was invented by a drunken Harvard student trying to look up and rate girls. It was so interesting to watch the movie and learn about the website that I use proably seventy-five percent of the time I am on my computer. The story of Facebook is so elaborate. The movie totally drew me in and made me realize that everything had to be created somehow. Everything has a history, a backgound, and Facebook is just another thing to add to that list. I would absolutely recommend The Social Network. I think it has a wide range for an audience because everyone uses Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment